Software Engineering 101 - My top 6 learning's so far
My go to for clarity before I start writing code.
This is a very short blog post I wanted to share, I often like to remind myself of these things while I am solving problems and working in teams. This is an intense consolidation of 5 years experience.
- Make sure you use consistent language and remember words matter.
- Identify what the the deliverable feature is before you start working on it.
- Identify and clearly communicate in the code the areas of awkwardness.
- Make sure you understand responsibilities in/of the code and make it obvious where they are.
- Duplication over incorrect abstraction (this one requires more thought than you might assume!).
- Always have and show empathy for your fellow developer 🙌
Caveat; Try your best to form opinions, it will help with all of the above, even if those opinions get old or are slightly off they will still help!
I want to add to the list in the future as I continue to learn and gain experience, if there are any other obvious items you would like to add or some gems I am missing, please share them in the comments below. The wider the range of values and perspectives for this list the more accurate and helpful it will be.